Even though it feels like the middle of summer still, school started today. Missy is now in first grade, and went off to school eager and excited. She is soooo not like her parents who at this age were shy and nervous. I remember crying on my first day of 1st grade! I was so nervous my parents would forget about me and leave me there- LOL! But not Missy, she would have walked to school all by herself if I would have let her. She was also upset that I wouldn't let her buy lunch today, because apparently that's what 1st graders do, she informed me.
Missy will have the same teacher she had for Kindergarten, as Mrs. Sancedo moved to teaching 1st grade this year. I think it will be good as there is already a relationship there, and Missy knows her rules and teaching style. And Missy already knows that telling Mrs. Sancedo, " I threw that away because I didn't feel like doing it" doesn't fly. ( Yes, she actually did that -sometimes I wonder where this bold little girl came from :)
Jeff had the opportunity to attend The Sons of Liberty Camp from Thursday to Saturday. It sounded like an AMAZING experience for the boys and leaders. It included 27 stakes, roughly about 5,000 young men and 1,500 adult leaders. He said it was just a sea of tents and people.
They had fun activities for the boys including a rope bridge, rock wall, a man-made 26 ft water slide, ropelling, etc. Some of the speakers included Elder L. Tom Perry and John Bytheway. Hank Smith, an EFY teacher gave a great talk, and had 3 main points: 1) God cares about retainers - A girl at EFY once lost her retainer, and had to search through MOUTAINS of trash. They decided to pray about it, and within a few minutes they found her retainer! Heavenly Father cares about the small things in our life. 2) The Armour of God isn't comfy - it's not always easy to do the right thing. 3) Walk away from the fish - After Peter and his brethren caught a boat full of fish (after not catching anything all day), Christ came to them and told them to Come with Him, and He will make them fishers of men. They were asked to walk away from the fish. In essence, we need to be able to walk away from things that take hold of our heart and follow Christ. Our fish may include money, jobs, material things, etc.
1 comment:
That sounds amazing! I love EFY style talks where they make retainers and fish important topics!!!! We start school next week and Emily is starting 1st grade also, the most important thing to her is eating big kid lunch in the cafeteria!
Post a Comment